Mac & Cheese With Local Mushrooms
- 1 lb Rigatoni Noodles
- 15g grapeseed oil
- 245g So Delicious® Dairy Free Coconutmilk, Unsweetened Original
- 200g So Delicious® Dairy Free Cheese Alternative, Cheddar Style Shreds
- 100g So Delicious® Dairy Free Cheese Alternative, Mozzarella Style Shreds
- 100g Jack
- 100g Water
- Salt to taste
- 7.5 oz mixed local mushrooms; we used:
- 2oz fresh Shiitake mushrooms, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 2oz fresh Oyster mushrooms, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 3.5oz fresh Cremini, sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 130g yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 30g grapeseed oil (or any neutral oil)
- 6g fresh oregano, chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1. In a medium pot, bring 3 qt of water to a boil, season with salt to taste place noodles in water and cook until al dente -- meaning not entirely cooked and has a little bite left. Save 100g of pasta water.
- 2. On medium heat, make a roux by heating the flour and both types of oil in a 2-3 quart sauce pan, constantly stirring until a blonde, buttery color is achieved. Add in So Delicious® Unsweetened Original Coconutmilk and continue stirring. You will notice it starts to thicken. Add in So Delicious® Cheddar and Mozzarella Style Shreds, turn to a low heat, and occasionally stir, avoiding any of the mix sticking to the bottom. At this time, you can begin the mushroom recipe. Once So Delicious® Cheddar and Mozzarella Style Shreds are fully melted, add in up to 100g of water, or as much needed to achieve thickness, similar to a pancake batter.
- 3. In a saute pan, on medium heat place sliced onions with all oil and cook until onions are translucent and have a little color. Add in mushrooms and cook until softened. Season with oregano and salt to taste.
- 4. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl to incorporate all parts of the recipe. If mixture is dry, add a little bit of the pasta water. Place in a casserole dish or cast iron, and place in oven at 350F for 10-12 minutes, or until the top creates a browned crust. Remove from oven, and enjoy!