Pimento Cheese Alternative with Fried Saltines
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Mozzarella, shredded
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Jack, shredded
- 2 cups So Delicious Dairy Free Cheddar, shredded
- 1 cup Mayonnaise, or Veganaise
- 1 ½ tsp. salt (plus additional for seasoning saltines)
- 1 Tbs. Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbs. Chive, minced
- 2 Tbs. Diced Pimento Peppers
- 1 cup Thin Sliced Raw Onion
- 1 Tbs. Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 12 Saltine Crackers
- ¾ cup Olive Oil, not extra virgin
To prepare pimento cheese
1. In a small sauté pan, place the tablespoon of canola/vegetable oil, and place on medium high heat until pan begins to smoke. Once pan begins to smoke, turn heat to low and place sliced onions into smoking pan, and stir frequently until onions become translucent and begin to brown on the edges. Remove onions from heat and place in refrigerator to chill for 15 minutes.
2. While onions are cooling, place all shredded So Delicious Dairy Free cheeses, mayonnaise, black pepper, salt, chives and pimento peppers in a medium size mixing bowl, and fold together using a rubber spatula. Leave in bowl and place in refrigerator to chill. Once your onions have cooled, fold them into the cheese mixture.
3. Place cheese mix in the refrigerator and let chill while you fry your saltines.
To prepare saltines
1. In a deep sauté pan place the ¾ cup olive oil and place on medium high heat. While the oil is heating line a plate with paper towels to catch the fried saltines. Once oil has started to smoke, turn off heat. Being very careful to not splash the oil, place the saltines in 3 at a time and fry on each side for 15 seconds, working quickly remove crackers from pan and place on lined plate. Add more oil if necessary for the remaining saltines. Season crackers to you desired salt level. Use the remaining chives to garnish your pimento cheese.