Espresso Custard with Shaved Chocolate and Cherries
2 cups Silk Barista Collection Almondmilk
9 Large Egg Yolks
1/2 cup Granulated Sugar
1 ½ tsp. Instant Coffee
⅓ cup Dark Chocolate Chips
½ tsp. Kosher Salt
2 oz Chocolate Bar
½ cup Pitted Fresh Cherries
1 Tbs. Granulated Sugar
⅛ tsp. Kosher Salt
1. Preheat the oven to 275°F. Separate egg yolks, discard or save the egg whites for another recipe. Whisk egg yolks and sugar together in a bowl and set aside.
2. Combine Silk Barista Collection Almondmilk, instant coffee and salt in a small sauce pot and bring to a boil. Remove the pan from the heat.
3. Using a quarter cup measuring cup, add about ¼ cup of the hot Silk Barista Collection Almondmilk mixture to your egg yolk and sugar mixture and whisk together rapidly. The trick here is to temper the eggs with the hot liquid without scrambling them.
Repeat this step 2 more times with the quarter cup measure.
4. Add all your egg yolk mixture to the pot of almond milk and whisk together. Place the chocolate chips in a bowl and strain the liquid through a fine mesh strainer over chocolate chips and let sit for a minute. Whisk vigorously to combine and the mixture looks like thick chocolate milk.
5. Pour mixture evenly into 5 ramekins that are about 6 oz capacity. Place ramekins into a high sided baking dish (a brownie pan works great) and place pan in the oven. Fill the empty space in the pan with water an inch under the top of the ramekins(do this with the pan in the oven, it is very hard to move once filled with water). Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the middle is no longer jiggly. Put in the refrigerator to cool for an hour or make the night before and let them sit overnight. Toss pitted cherries with sugar and salt and let sit for 20 minutes. Take bar of chocolate and shave it with vegetable peeler. Top with shaved chocolate and fresh cherries.