- Ingredients for eggplant
- 2 Medium Eggplants
- 4 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 5 Whole Eggs
- ¼ cup Water
- 2 cups All Purpose Flour
- 3 cups Japanese-Style Panko Bread Crumbs
- 4 cups Vegetable or Canola Oil
- 1 lb. So Delicious Dairy Free Mozzarella, shredded
- Ingredients for tomato gravy
- ½ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Yellow Onion, diced small
- 5 Garlic Cloves, minced
- ½ tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- 28 oz Can of Crushed San Marzano Tomatoes
- 4 oz Water
- ¼ cup Black Olives
- 1 Tbs. Capers
- 2 Tbs. Fresh Oregano, chopped
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 12 Basil Leaves, roughly torn
- Salt to taste
To prepare eggplant
1. Cut eggplant with skin on into 1 inch rounds. Salt the eggplant with the 4 teaspoons of salt and set aside.
2. Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk with ¼ cup of water to make an egg wash. Place the flour and bread crumbs in separate bowls.
3. Begin to bread your eggplant by first placing it in the flour and covering the eggplant completely. Shake off excess flour and place eggplant in the egg wash. Flip eggplant in egg wash twice and let excess egg drip off back into the bowl. For the final step place the eggplant in the bread crumbs and cover until it is completely breaded.
4. In a sauce pan with tall edges and an oil thermometer attached, heat the oil over medium-high heat to 350°F. Place the eggplant in the oil for 15 minutes, flipping over after the first 8 minutes. It should be a deep golden color. Move to a paper towel lined plate and let excess oil drain off.
To prepare tomato gravy
1. Preheat the oven to the broil setting at the highest possible temperature with a rack in the middle of the oven.
2. Place a medium sauce pot on medium heat and add the extra virgin olive oil. Once oil is hot, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Turn the heat to low and let the onions, garlic and pepper flakes cook slowly for 10 minutes, or until the onion is very tender and soft.
3. Add the San Marzano tomatoes and water and bring to a low simmer. Let the sauce reduce for 25 minutes or by roughly ⅓ in volume.
4. Add the olives, capers, and oregano, along with the sugar and salt. Let simmer for another 15 minutes and take off heat. Add the first half of the basil leaves into the sauce and keep aside to stay warm.
5. In a casserole dish, place half the sauce on the bottom. Place the fried eggplant slices over the top and ladle the remaining sauce over the eggplant. Spread the So Delicious Dairy Free Mozzarella evenly over the top. Place the dish under broiler and watch cook until mozzarella is completely melted. Garnish with the remaining fresh basil leaves.