Dairy-Free Butter Tofu
- 1 ½ cups So Delicious Unsweetened Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative
- 2 Tbs. Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ Tbs. Ground Turmeric
- 2 Tbs. Garam Masala
- 2 Tbs. Ground Cumin
- 3 lb. Firm Tofu, drained, cut into1-inch cubes
- Coconut Oil, as needed
- 2 Yellow Onions, diced
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs. Fresh Ginger, grated or finely diced
- 1 Tbs. Cumin Seeds
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- 2 Tomatoes, diced
- 2 Red chiles, seeded and diced
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- 2 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2/3 cup Vegetable Stock or Water
- 1 ½ cups So Delicious Unsweetened Coconutmilk (full fat)
- 1 tsp. Tomato Paste
- 3 Tbs. Ground Almonds or Cashews
- Steamed Coconut Rice
- Basmati rice, rinsed, as needed
- So Delicious Unsweetened Coconutmilk, as needed
- Water, as needed
- Kosher salt, more to taste
- Cucumber Raita
- ½ English Cucumber, peeled, shredded
- Kosher salt, as needed
- ½ cup So Delicious Unsweetened Coconutmilk Yogurt Alternative
- ¼ tsp. Ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp. Ground Coriander
- ½ Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped
- Cilantro, picked, as needed
- Naan, as needed
1. For the Tofu: Combine lemon juice, yogurt alternative, turmeric, garam masala and cumin. Rub over tofu, cover and refrigerate up to a day.
2. In a large pan over medium heat, melt the coconut oil. Add the onions, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent. Add the garlic, ginger and cumin seeds, and cook until the onions start to brown.
3. Add the cinnamon stick, tomatoes, chiles and salt, and cook until the chiles are soft, about 10 minutes.
4. Add the sweet potatoes and vegetable stock, bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for approximately 30 minutes.
5. Stir in the coconut milk and tomato paste, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tofu and continue to cook until tofu is heated through, 20 minutes. If desired add ground almonds or cashews to thicken and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
6. For the Steamed Coconut Rice: In a rice cooker, add rice and using equal parts coconut milk and water fill to the waterline. Add salt, close lid and set to cook. Hold hot until ready for service.
7. For the Cucumber Raita: Sprinkle cucumber with a generous amount of salt, toss and let sit in a colander in the sink for 15 minutes. Rinse briefly; squeeze dry in a kitchen towel over a bowl and set liquid aside. Transfer cucumber to a bowl and stir in remaining ingredients, and season to taste. If desired, use reserved cucumber liquid to season and thin sauce. Chill, covered, until ready to serve.
8. To serve: plate steamed rice in a shallow bowl, top with butter tofu, raita and cilantro.